Superintendent: Lane Education Service District, Eugene, Oregon
March 7, 2017
NOTICE OF OPEN POSITION
Administrative Position Posting
Position Title: Superintendent
Closing Date for Applications: April 11, 2017
Employment Begins: July 1, 2017
The Mission of Lane ESD
The mission of education service districts is to assist school districts and the Oregon Department of Education in achieving Oregon's educational goals by providing equitable, high quality, cost-effective and locally responsive educational services at a regional level. The ESD partners with school districts, community college, local universities and other community agencies in providing quality services to the component school districts in Lane County.
About the Position
The Lane ESD Board of Directors is seeking a senior administrator with a strong commitment to equity and diversity, skilled in facilitation and leadership development. In addition, the board seeks applicants who appreciate the complex social and political environment and changing demographics that exist in Lane County.
This is an excellent leadership opportunity for someone knowledgeable of Oregon's education system and broad experience in the delivery of regionalized services. The Board of Directors seeks a leader who can support the work of staff within component school districts, maintain and expand the ESD's leadership within the region and the state, and promote a variety of established programs and initiatives. Leaders who are accomplished in fostering innovation and bringing out the best in others are encouraged to apply.
About the District
Lane ESD is governed by a seven member board and employs approximately 205 staff. Lane ESD has four service areas: Administrative Services, Special Education, Technology, and Instruction, Equity & Partnerships. Administrative services include courier services, business services, Home School registration and truancy services Special education services include; direct services to students with intellectual disabilities and students with behavioral and/or mental health needs and adjudicated youth, school psychology services, speech language pathology services, and behavior consultation. Technology services include managed network connectivity, engineering and infrastructure support, hosted services and professional development. Instruction, Equity & Partnerships service area provides professional development and coaching in core content areas, career technical education, learning resources, and data and evaluation supports.
Lane ESD holds ODE contracts for: Regional Low Incidence Programs (serving students with; Autism, Vision Impairments, Hearing Impairments, Orthopedic Impairments and Traumatic Brain Injury), Early Intervention/Early Childhood Education (EI/ECSE), Juvenile Detention Education, and the State Psychiatric Hospital. In addition, Lane ESD coordinates a number of consortium grants including federal Title programs, state and federal grants, and private foundation grants.
For more information: www.lesd.k12.or.us
About the Community
Lane ESD serves a 4722 sq. mile region from the top of the cascades to the Pacific Ocean. The entire student population served by the schools in the Lane ESD region approaches 55,000. Lane ESD serves 16 diverse school districts in Lane County ranging in size from 150 students to 16,000 students.
Lane County truly has something for everyone including exquisite outdoor spaces, residents that appreciate healthy lifestyles, cultural diversity and the arts, and is home to the University of Oregon. The economy of Lane County consists of higher education, agriculture, healthcare, high technology, forest products, recreation, and tourism. For more information: www.eugenecascadescoast.org
The Board is interested in someone who is willing to commit to the district for a number of years and will consider a multi-year contract with salary of between $145,000 and $160,000. Medical, dental and vision insurances are also provided. The ESD pays the employee's portion of PERS.
Chris Culver (Chair)
Please do not contact board members directly
Challenges and Opportunities
The Board has identified the following leadership challenges and opportunities for the position:
• Manage and lead in an environment characterized by uncertain state funding levels
• Work to meet the needs of 16 districts that vary widely in needs, size and geographical location
• Develop, maintain, and advance positive relationships with Lane County school districts
• Fostering state level engagement focusing on emerging initiatives and related funding
• Continue strong partnerships with community agencies and organizations
Desired Skills and Qualifications
The Board of Directors, staff and community are seeking candidates with the following qualities and characteristics:
- Successful experience working in a complex environment
- Successful experience improving equity across student and staff environments Superintendent experience in various sized school districts preferred
- An understanding of Oregon laws, culture, diversity, and norms
- Strong skills in facilitation, collaboration, and building consensus
- Ability to build on current programs and successes
- Successful experience developing and managing school district budgets
- Understands the importance of involving diverse communities and developing staffing and services using Oregon's equity lens
Lane ESD’s Strategic Plan – 5 Bold Steps
For a complete description, please visit the Lane ESD website at http://www.lesd.k12.or.us/strategic-plan/index.html
1. Creating and Implementing Innovative Initiatives that Directly Impact or Influence Student Success
2. Supporting Best Instructional Practices
3. Modeling and Promoting Equitable Practice for All
4. Leveraging Education and Community Partners
5. Strong Student Centered Advocacy
Application Procedures and Timeline
Applications are due April 11, 2017; however, the district retains the option of accepting applications until the position is filled.
Screening of candidates will occur on April 18, 2017 with interviews currently scheduled for the week of April 24, 2017.
Those interested in pursuing this position are urged to contact Northwest Leadership Associates through Roger Rada at (503) 812-2995 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
A completed application packet should include:
• A completed application form available from Northwest Leadership Associates (contact information above)
• A letter of interest in the position
• A statement explaining how the candidate's experience and training prepares him/her to address the opportunities and challenges outlined in this posting (maximum of one page per challenge)
• A resume including information about potential references
• Four current letters of recommendation
Submit All Application Materials in Word or PDF format to:
Dr. Roger Rada
The Lane Education Servicee District is an equal opportunity educator and employer and actively seeks minority applicants