About OSBA's board development opportunities
OSBA has always prepared new board members for board service and helped experienced board members become more effective in their roles as elected officials. Board members need to know public meetings law, parliamentary procedure, teamwork, budgeting, policy-making, ethics laws, public engagement, public relations, and many more skills to function effectively and efficiently.
Leadership and boardsmanship training
OSBA meets your need for effective board skills with training that is interesting, flexible and reasonably priced.
- Training workshops - We provide custom workshops at your district, community college, ESD or charter school; regional workshops; and facilitation of citizen committees, focus groups and board retreats.
- Online training - We offer online training to cover key topics in short sessions at your convenience.
- Leadership Institute - We teach the skills and knowledge essential to serving successfully on an education board. Leadership Institute provides opportunities to train individually and as a board.
- Leadership Oregon - Every other year, we offer advanced leadership training in four special, in-depth sessions over the course of a year.
Annual convention and summer board conference
Board members from all around the state get inspired and energized at our annual convention each November in Portland. The convention features nationally recognized keynote speakers and three days of workshops and discussion on all aspects of board service and school programs.
Each July, board members meet to learn more about board leadership and school business. Our summer conference is a great opportunity for new and experienced board members and and superintendents to train together as a team.
Put our expertise to work for you
OSBA understands the issues board members face and fast-tracks you to expertise in these and other areas:
- Board roles and responsibilities
- Effective meetings
- Evaluating your superintendent or president
- Board self-evaluation
- Goal setting/strategic planning
- Facilitation skills
- Managing conflict and change
Answers to your questions
Ask Betsy answers your questions about board procedures.
OSBA exists to help you - Contact us and tell us what you need.
Contact OSBA Staff to inquire about pricing.