65th Annual Convention
November 10-13, 2011
Welcome to the 2011 Annual Convention
Governor John Kitzhaber will address the general session on Saturday, November 12. He will share important and timely information about the progress of the Oregon Education Investment Board and his vision for serving our students, 0-20, and the important role of school boards in implementing his vision.
Read the governor's speech.
New at convention
- Friday morning begins with a vendor breakfast at 7:30 a.m. followed by morning workshops and vendor showcases starting at 8:15 a.m.
- Friday General Session, new time! 1:30-3 p.m. Hear Ian Jukes, “Windows on the Future: New Schools for the New World” - Salon E/F
- Vendor Showcases: New! Quick and informative sessions - located in the Exhibit Hall.
- Friday reception, November 11, 5-6:30 p.m. - Network with colleagues, hear spectacular student entertainment from Silver Falls High School and congratulate your peers on their successes
- Saturday General Session at 8:45 a.m. - Governor Kitzhaber will address us, followed by Dr. Yong Zhao, “Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization”
- OSBA Annual Membership Meeting/Hot Topic Tables, new day and time! Saturday, November 12, 2-3:15 p.m. - Salon E/F
- Sunday General Session: Mark Speckman, “Living in a Digital World without Digits” and Rachel’s Challenge - www.rachelschallenge.org
Other activities to remember
- Opening Reception, Thursday, November 10 - 4-6:30 p.m. in the Exhibit Hall. Hors d’oeuvres, exhibits and no-host bar Sponsored in partnership with PACE
- Friday networking lunch in the Exhibit Hall
- Saturday lunch - hear from Oregon’s Teacher of the Year and Superintendent of the Year
Located on Lower Level 2, it’s the place to interact with colleagues, meet speakers, buy a book or check your email. Come check it out!
- Thursday, November 10 - 4-6:30 p.m.
- Friday, November 11 - 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, November 12 - 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
Pick up your name badge, meal tickets and registration materials in the ballroom foyer (Lower Level 1 - Foyer) of the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront Hotel.
- Thursday, November 10, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Friday, November 11, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, November 12, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
Name badges should be worn at all events.
OSBA’s Exhibit Hall will feature vendors and new this year, vendor showcases. The Exhibit Hall will be open Thursday, November 10, 4-6:30 p.m. and Friday, November 11, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
The light rail MAX station is six blocks north of the Marriott. The hotels listed are within Fareless Square, an area of the city where MAX, Tri-Met buses and streetcars are free.
Learn more about OSBA's convention: